My First Trip to Europe, Pt. 1: Paris

Paris Seine

For my 25th birthday we decided to go to Europe for two weeks. Our first stop on this journey was Paris. I was super exited and in our first morning there, I didn’t even feel jetlagged despite the long plane ride and significant time difference. While we were waiting for our Airbnb check in, we went to get something to eat at the closest bistro to us. Despite the fact that the first thing I saw in Paris was how two people were washing the same two massage tables in front of this bistro, Paris was my love from the first sight. I caught this typical See-Paris-and-Die kind of flu.

I didn’t want to be a tourist in Paris. I didn’t want to waste any second of my precious time there. I wanted to feel like a local. I just wished I could get lost in these cute little streets and never go back to the States. I would choose Paris over New York in any given moment. The first time I went to New York I was actually pretty disappointed; I think I expected something different from it. Although I learned to love it anyways. But Paris won my heart right away.

When we were planning this trip, I spent so many hours looking for a perfect place to stay and eventually I came across this very artsy and bohemian studio apartment with a view of the Eiffel Tower (not the closest view but still we could perfectly see it). I got so much inspiration from this apartment. After a long day of walking, at night I was drinking wine, while lying down on the sofa and looking at the Eiffel Tower and listening to my personally selected Ultimate French playlist on Spotify. Time just stopped.

They say that 70% of the human body is made up of water, I was on a mission to convert this 70% to wine and coffee. And I should admit that I almost succeeded. The other 30% was totally dedicated to pastries and cheese.

My biggest dream now is to move to Paris for good or at least even for a little bit, and like we all know: everything comes to those who wait. So maybe one day I will feel the same way Ernest Hemingway felt about this wonderful city when he said the following:

“If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” — Ernest Hemingway